How to reduce business fraud
- Require every employee to complete an employment application. Ask if they have any criminal history and complete a background check.
- Only use pre-approved vendors.
- Include a code of ethics in your employee handbook.
- Provide annual training.
- Sign off on all expenses over $50; this includes expense accounts.
- Require all employees to take their scheduled vacations.
- Have separation of services between check writing, approval and deposits.
- Use an outside CPA to audit books and complete tax returns.
- Limit access to bank passwords and statements to top managers.
- Purchase employee dishonesty coverage.
Employee dishonesty is the most common fidelity threat; including losses due to employee dishonesty, credit card forgery, computer fraud and theft, and disappearance and destruction of property.
An Employee Dishonesty bond provides coverage when an employee steals money, equipment or other assets from you or one of your clients. Employee dishonesty coverage is one of the key coverages provided in a commercial crime policy.
Oakwood Insurance Agency operates as an independent insurance agency, selling an extensive spectrum of insurance to businesses, families, and individuals. Our competitive advantage comes from the objective and professional service that we provide our access to a wide range of carriers, and our extensive knowledge of the insurance marketplace.